We hope you’ll be able to join us for the 2019 Academic Development Symposium: another exciting day that will bring together educationalists (including academic developers and academics) from around Aotearoa New Zealand.
To register, please go to: https://vuw.libcal.com/event/5219600
Thursday, October 31, 2019
Holistic academic development
Rutherford House MZ 03, Pipitea Campus, Victoria University of Wellington. Please refer to the Google Map below, or to the university-provided map (PDF).
Thanks to sponsorship from HERDSA New Zealand, the Symposium is free to attend.
Please note that the draft programme below will be finalised closer to the event.
- 09:00 – 09:30: Coffee
- 09:30 – 09:45: Mihi and welcome, followed by outline for the day
- 09:45 – 10:45: Updates from around nga motu. (Strategic priorities for you and your unit, and how can we help each other as a sector?) Pechakucha + Q&A
- 10:45 – 11:15: Resource-sharing expo and morning tea (bring your cool stuff)
- 11:15 – 12:30: Plenary discussion: what do we mean by holistic academic development? Pre-reading if you have time: https://doi.org/10.1080/1360144X.2018.1524571
- 12:30 – 13:30: Lunch and social interaction
- 13:30 – 13:45: Introduction to the afternoon: Format and desired outcomes of World Café
- 14:00 – 15:15: World café (2 x 30 minutes + 5 mins between sessions):
- Table 1: Developing the whole-academic (teaching, research, service)
- Table 2: Working with the whole-institution (other units)
- Table 3: Supporting the whole-person (whole-career, health, well-being)
- Table 4: TBD based on expressions of interest at registration
- 15:15 – 15:30: Afternoon tea
- 15:30 – 16:30: Developing a research agenda around [holistic] academic development: national/collaborative possibilities and funding opportunities
- 16:30: Drinks and nibbles at Vic Books, Pipitea
Sincere thanks go to the sponsor of the 2019 Symposium:
Sincere thanks also go to our host:
Erik Brogt, University of Canterbury
Kathryn Sutherland, Victoria University of Wellington
Joanna Cobley, University of Canterbury
Lizzie Towl, Victoria University of Wellington
If you have any questions, please contact Erik Brogt.